Caldo Oils Limited started life as the Caledonian Oil Company in March 1922, blending lubricants for the fledgling motor industry.
The Scott family had been in business as ironfounders and engineers in St. Helens from the early part of the 19th century. In 1922, the Scott brothers, Austin, Leo, George, Walter and John started the Caledonian Oil Company. Early on, Austin, Leo and George decided to sell their shares to Walter and John for the sum of £50.00 each.
The Company prospered and expanded into the fuels business, buying petrol at 1/- per gallon from companies like Anglo-American Oil Co., (Esso), Texas Oil Co., (Texaco), Petrofina (TotalFinaElf), and Russian Oil Products. Business continued apace until the outbreak of the war in 1939, when the company’s tankers were commandeered by the Petroleum Pool Board in London.
After the war, business continued growing with expansions into the petrol retailing business. In 1951, the Caledonian Oil Company became Caldo Oils Limited.
The Caldo Group is now a large diverse business. We offer printing and plastic card production, alongside the lubricant blending, contract packing, and fuel distribution business.
Philip Scott, (Walter’s son) retired as Chairman in 2007 but the Group is still run by the Scott family. The current generation are Michael, as Managing Director of Caldo Oils Limited, (Wholesale Fuels and Lubricants), and Timothy the Managing Director of Caldo Forecourts Limited, Company Cards Limited (Property Investment company and Printing) and Finishing Touch St Helens Ltd.
In 2011 Hallett Oils, a manufacturer of steam engine lubricants, became a part of Caldo Oils Ltd. Their manufacturing capability was brought back to the main works, elevating the company’s offering for heritage rail lubrication to an unbeatable one. Caldo were able to expand the work carried out by Hallett Oils. Now, with nationwide acclaim and 98% market share, almost every high profile steam locomotive in the UK, from 60163 Tornado to Flying Scotsman, is running on the UK main line using Hallett brand steam lubricants.
In 2014, with another innovative idea, the company became the first independent operator of a fully functioning un-manned petrol filling forecourt. Utilising state of the art telecommunications, and with the full approval of local fire officers, this site continues to attract customers who don’t have time to queue at traditional sites.
Continued expansion of the joint company’s business activities prompted the need for extra production capacity during 2016. As part of a major investment scheme, old garage premises at Worsley Brow were demolished and completely rebuilt to offer warehousing and production facilities to more fully service the wide variety of markets the Caldo Group deals with.